Fenbendazole 150mg (Panacur) Tablets
Fenbendazole 150mg is used to treat intestinal parasites. It kills roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, and tapeworms in animals and livestock. This anthelmintic is a FDA approved medication for animals. Fenbendazole works by interrupting the parasites’ cellular transport and metabolism.
Uses of Fenbendazole
Fenbendazole is used to remove certain gastrointestinal parasites from the stomach and intestines of animals. Fenbendazole is effective against roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, certain tapeworms and parasites called strongyles and Strongyloides. Fenbendazole is also effective against certain parasites of the bronchial tree and lungs (Aelurostrongylus and Paragonimiasis).
- While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, fenbendazole can cause side effects in some animals.
- Fenbendazole should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
- Infrequently, vomiting can occur after administration. The presence of dead worms in the stool may infrequently be observed.
Dosing of Fenbendazole
- Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.
- Fenbendazole generally is not effective as a one-time dose. It is recommended that fenbendazole be given once a day for several consecutive days.
- For dogs and cats, 25 mg per pound (50 mg/kg) daily for three consecutive days is usually effective.
- The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.